WATCH ME DANCE!

Please sign my guest book. Thank You.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Followers

Adult Entertainment

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Saturday, August 18, 2007

Koobus O (The Original)



Some of my friends wonder how the name Koobus came about. It’s a long story, starting back in the late 1940s.

When my mom was born, her aunt knitted her a stuffed animal that her grandfather named Koobus. It is believed that he made the name up, based on the Polish word for Jacob, or "Ya-koop.” According to great grandpa, Koobus meant “Little Jake”. The name and the original stuffed toy were long retired until one cold day in February 1975, my grandparents (my mom's parents) went to the local SPCA, looking for a dog. They saw a matted, sad looking fur ball named Sparky that they found interesting. They didn’t even know what kind of dog Sparky was, but they adopted him and took him home. My grandparents wanted a different name for Sparky, and noticing a resemblance in the curls on Sparky and the curls on the stuffed toy from a generation earlier, they decided to rename Sparky Koobus. They also wanted a name that no other dog had. Sparky quickly learned his new name and easily adjusted to his new surroundings.


Soon after he came to his new forever home, Koobus was taken to the vet to get checked out. The vet said to gramps, “Oh, you’ve got a wire hair fox terrier. You are in for a good time. You’re gonna have a lot of fun.” They found out the vet was right. Within a couple of days, they took Koobus to get groomed. Then they learned what a wire fox terrier looks like. They had never seen one in person before.

They thought they had a dog, but they wound up with an imp. That imp gave them nine good years, and when he died of cancer in 1984 the family was devastated. But still the breed and the name lived on in this family. The search soon began for a wire fox terrier puppy, Koobus II, who turned out to be a fabulous dog. When he died from cancer in 1992, the family was devastated again, but persevered and soon found a little sweet wft puppy, Koobus III. He lived for 14 years, dying in December 2006, and what was left of this family was devastated once more. I, Koobuss IV, and the only girl dog (hence the extra “s” on the name) came into their lives at the age of ten weeks, on December 30, 2006. I plan to be here a long, long time.



Two things I know for sure. This family will always have a wire fox terrier, and it will always be named Koobuss. They are not going to run out of numbers.

14 comments:

Molly the Airedale said...

Here, here - to a long healthy life for you too Koobuss! What a neat story!

Love ya lots,
Maggie

The Army of Four said...

Hey Koobie! Thanks for visiting our blog! You sure are a cute little girl!
I love the story of how you got your name - very cool!
Here's to many, many happy years with your family!
Play bows,
Zim

Jake of Florida said...

So Koobus means "Little Jake"? I knew we had lots in common!!

My full name is Jake Elijah because I came to live with the folks just before Passover!!

I hadn't learned any manners as yet, and created a mess in the kitchen while Mom was trying to prepare. It is one of our most cherished stories -- fondly known as "Black Friday."

Jake

Gus said...

Koobuss! I have been mis spelling your name all this time and you never said a thing. Thank you for being such a polite girl. I will try to do better from now on!

Thank you for sharing the story of your name!

Jackson's J1 and J2 said...

I wondered where your name came from! I like it! J x

Lorenza said...

Hi, Koobie
Thanks for sharing the story of your name. Its very interesting! I am sure you will give your family many many years of happiness!
Have a nice day
Lorenza

Agatha and Archie said...

Oh Koobuss,that is a wonderfull story!!! Here's to your legacy!! LoveA+A

Ruby Bleu said...

That is a great story!!! I guess it makes it easy for your family to remember names, huh? I know you'll be around for a good long time!!!

Lots of Licks, Ruby

Asta said...

What a fantabulous stowy Koobusss!
A long line of love and wondewfulness fow your family..i love the name ..may it go on fow centuwies....I hope you're the longest living membew of your family ever!
thanks fow coming to the pawty..I hope you're not too tiwed fwom all the dancing and socializing....I love you
smoochie kisses
Asta

fee said...

wow, koobuss, i am in awe of your long family history! so many koobuses and so many wfts!

loves,
fee
ps: i had initially thought that your name meant "skool bus"!

Urban Smoothie Read said...

nice n unique name u got there...

Scruffy, Lacie and Stanley's Place said...

Koobuss...what a cool story bout your family hx. and what a wonderful name!! My mom thinks you are absolutly adorable and says for your mom to give you a special hug from her. You are way too cute!!!! Terrier barks,

Scruffy and Lacie!

Stanley said...

Hey, Koobie!!

What a long love line you have!! Very cool that your grandparents stumbled into the shelter that day and let Koobus I adopt them! Little did they know how much he would change their lives... forever!

I'm with Asta. May you be the longest-living Koobuss ever, and may the name live on for centuries!!

Goober love,
Stanley

Quinvale AstaLaVista Baby said...

G'day Koobie,

That's a gweat stowy. I've been wondering about your name.

xxx Asta down under

The Weather Where I Live (3/4 inch NNW of Philadelphia)

 | Weather Maps | 

Prison