Monday, February 16, 2009
Do I look like Abraham Lincoln? That’s the look that I want for today, President’s Day.
In honor of President’s Day, my mom came up with this stuff. We know that President Barack Obama has many presidential “firsts”. Here are some other presidential “first facts.”
1. The first president to wear trousers – James Madison
2. The first left-handed president – James A. Garfield
3. The first president to live in the White House – John Adams
4. The first president to serve eight years in office – George Washington
5. The first president to marry while in office – John Tyler
6. The first president to be a bachelor – James Buchanon (His girlfriend’s parents thought that he would never amount to
anything. They may have been right.)
7. The first president elected to a third (and fourth) term – Franklin D. Roosevelt
8. The first president whose two terms in office were not consecutive – Grover Cleveland
9. The first president to visit all 50 states – Richard Nixon
10. The first president to be born in the United States – Martin Van Buren (The previous presidents were born in the colonies
before the Revolution.)
Other presidential facts:
Abraham Lincoln was the tallest president at 6’4”. James Madison was the shortest president at 5’4”.
President Theodore Roosevelt was the first American to win the Nobel Peace Prize (1906).
The coldest Inauguration Day was March 4, 1873. (Ulysses S. Grant). It was 16 degrees F with wind gusts up to 40 mph.
Theodore Roosevelt was the youngest person ever to be president, age 42. He became president when William McKinley was assassinated in 1901.
John F. Kennedy was the youngest person elected President, age 43.
Ronald Reagan was the oldest person elected President, age 69.